Friday, September 10, 2010

Why only remember on holidays?

Tomorrow is 9/11 and today I found myself telling the hubs that we needed to stop by the store and get some more American flags to put in the yard for tomorrow.  I thought nothing more of this and went about the day.  As I am sitting here blogging tonight, I glance up and notice the American flags that waving in the breeze, they were put up today because we have a Unit coming home.  They are there in honor of the selfless service they have given these past 15 months.  And the thought hit me then, why am I only going to put flags out on holidays?  Why am I only going to make the effort to stop remember and thank those who served before me then; remember those whose life was taken in the blink of an eye that fateful morning?  Can I not find a moment or two in my day to remember these people year round?  Am I really that self absorb?  The answer plain and simple with no lies is yes....yes I am.

I would like to think that I am more patriotic than the average person.  My dad served in the Air Force for 20 + years, I have grandfathers, uncles and a brother who have served, my husband served in the Army and did 3 tours of combat and finally, I myself have joined the ranks.  But despite all of this I am your typical, think of them on the holidays or when I am reminded too.

Recently my family and I went to Washington DC, I got to go to Arlington and visit the Tomb of the Unknown Solider.  This was in EVERY way shape and form a eye opener for me.  To see the thousands of tombstones, to know that these individuals are buried here for a reason and to simply be there, it is so much larger than we are.  The stories that those men and women took with them to the grave are enough to fill the Library of Congress 10 folds.  But they were all hero's in someones eye.  We happen to be walking to the Tomb when Rivalee started to play, immediately without thinking I stopped faced where the flag would be and stood at attention.  My family of course stopped and faced the same way.  We stood there quietly and waited for the music to stop.  As we are standing there, me at attention and them with their hands over their heart, we had people walk up on us and stop as well, they had no idea what was going on, but one of them said I don't know why we are doing this but I think that they are in the military so we should.  Anyhow, the point of my story is that I believe that everyone wants to thank and remember those who have fallen and given their lives for us, some of us just don't know how or even understand it.  I was moved beyond words.  We also got to witness the changing of guard in front of the tomb.  What an amazing thing.  The honor and respect that is given to the fallen.....

I want to make a better effort in remembering those who served before me, the friends of my husband that fought side by side with him, that gave the ultimate sacrifice so that I could have another day with him, so that we could have the family we have. 

I am going to have a flag in my garden year round and I am going to take a moment each day to remember.  And most of all to say thank you, to those that had the courage that so many of us lack!! 

This blog is dedicated to all those who served before me, but more specifically to those men that gave their lives from Diamond Brigade...we love you and you are not forgotten.

3 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. I always wonder the same thing, why only on holidays. We as Americans need to remember are fallen hero's and the ones still out there serving on more than holidays.

    *by the way totally jealous that you got to see the Tomb of the Unknown solider.I would love to go and pay my respects one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been brought to tears by a blog before - but I have tears now. I wish I could've experienced going to Arlington with you. You and J are truly my heroes! But you are right - I am one of those who sees a soldier in their fatigues walking through the airport and I want to go shake their hands and thank them for their service but I don't. I feel like they will be annoyed by me.... or they are in a hurry to get somewhere and don't have time for it.... usually I just end up smiling and nodding at them. It's not enough. Tomorrow I plan to fly a flag that was flown in Afghanistan by another friend who is in the military. I will look at it and think of her and everyone else I know who has served our great country, I will say a prayer for those who served to their last breath, and I will think of you, my very best friend, and your brave husband - both of you whom I love so dearly my heart aches that I can't see you every day.... but I think of you both (and M and T) every day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I am so glad I got to share those moments in DC with you. You are inspiring me to show my appreciation and patriotism more frequently and vividly.

    I remember right after 9/11 how all the American flags were suddenly sold out. Everyone had them hanging outside for a long time. I need to find one to display off my back balcony (which faces the public street) and keep it there.

    Love you Sis.. I will fly it for you too.

    ReplyDelete