Thursday, January 20, 2011

Green to Gold or OCS? What is a girl to do?

When I joined the Army, I joined with the intent of going officer at some point early in my career, and then the first two years were tough on me, mostly physically and I had more surgeries than days at work.  So the dream of wearing the bars were put on the back burner and I focused on healing and making it back to work in one complete working piece.

So I have been profile free for a few months now and the time has come to make some big decisions that are in fact going to change the way our family is.

I need to decide wheter I want to stay in the ranks and wait closer to my re-enlistment time and put in for a age waiver and go OCS or if I want to jump all in feet first and not look and apply for green to gold. 

OCS is Officer Candide School this is like basic training for officers, they learn to be leaders and get put through the wringer, its like basic training all over again!!  And while I impressed myself the first go around, I never really look forward to living it all over again.  I shudder at the thought of coming down on drill sergeant orders!!

The other is green to gold, green being a private and enlisted and going to an officer which is what the gold is.  This process is a matter of being actively enrolled in a college, half way done with a four year degree and applying, going before a board and then being accepted into school.

I am digging the green to gold option because I can be a full time college student, get promoted to Sgt and be commissioned right after I graduate.  This commitment is a 6 year commitment but at this stage in the game, the length of time is irrelevant being as I plan of this stage of the game making the Army my career....I am no longer a spring chicken.

So I have some pretty heavy stuff on my plate and I have some talking to do with the Sgt....he will support me in whatever I decide, but its just getting to the decision.....I hope I come to it soon, I have some serious goal achieving ahead of me!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! It's funny that you post this because, I am half way through my packet for the board.

    My advice to you, would do it! Any way that would get you to wear those "bars", I think you, your children and family would benefit from it. Officers get treated very well and are taken care of. You are already in, why not make it a next goal to be the best that you ultimately can be. Retirement as an officer is amazing, and plus, while sometimes, females are frowned upon who are in service, I think it's a great avenue to take and solidify your future/retirement. Nothing worse is thinking, "should I have done that when I had the chance?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep me posted on your progress....I am going to be picking your brain when I start working on mine!! I know you are right....its just figuring out the best road to take to be there!! That is the sucky part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. Add me as a friend if you want on FB so you can have that immediate contact. I am stuck on the essay of, "Why I want to be an officer?" I mean, it's not easy trying to convince a board of high ranking officers that I would be a good fit to work with them.... So I want to stand out. I should be at the board sometime in March or April.

    Just really sit down and think about where you are now and what you can do to better it. Not saying that you are in a bad situation but, as humans, we always want better!

    ReplyDelete