Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Leave= nail polish and pony tails....its the little things in life!!

For the first time in my military career I am on leave and it is in no way shape or form related to a surgery or a illness....I am healthy happy and spending time with my family!!

We made the trek from the East Coast to Kansas earlier this week.  My Sgt and I have a great system for traveling....he drives, I sleep!!  Yep it works well.....that is until he decides that the world is against him, and he needs a few hours of sleep.  I personally think that this is just crazy talk and thoughts and he has lived on less sleep before, I mean, he drives so much faster than I do....he should just finish the trip up!!  But being the nice wifey that I am I actually helped to drive more this trip...yeah, I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon!!

One thing that I have noticed on this leave is that when we go "home" we spend a majority of our time eating.....yep, eating.  We hit all of our favorite local haunts, have the fam make our favorite dishes.  We go on leave and gain at least 10 lbs. and its worst now that its the holidays....you can always tell a military member home on leave, they are the ones with the goofy grins eating like its their last meal....yep, we are a dead giveaway!!

One of the other perks about being on leave....NAIL POLISH, PONY TAILS, SKINNY JEANS AND HEELS!!!  I am sporting a lovely shade of dark purple on the hands, worn my hair in a messy pony tail this whole week, have worn hoop earrings and already worn a pair of heels...the skinny jeans are tomorrow night when I go out with the girls!!  I am also wearing make up that is NOT neutral shades AT ALL.  No my loyal readers...I am not looking like a pre op tranny in any way!!

So while I am enjoying this short time as a pretend civilian, I find myself missing my army days.  I like getting up and going to PT, I like wearing my ACUs...I like my job most day and most importantly, I am proud of who I am.
Being on leave gives me time to be thankful that I am who I am and do what I do.  I work hard and play harder and every once in a while I like being nothing more than me....but when the time comes to take off the proverbial flip flops and lace back up my combat boots I will do so with out to many tears and I will rock that sock bun in the only way I know how!!

The menu for tomorrow....Papa Murphy's pizza and drinks with the girls from my childhood....but first a play day with my boys and my princess...

Life is good for this soldier girl!!


2 comments:

  1. Gah I totally feel you on the gaining 10lbs when you go home. We do the same, there are restaurants that you can only get in our hometown and we miss them SOOOOO much.

    Hope you enjoyed your time as a pretend civi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felicia....I am going to have to fast this next week just so I can fit back into my ACU's....I ate myself stupid!!! But it was oh so good!!

    ReplyDelete