Sunday, October 3, 2010

My thoughts on Snyder v. Pheps (You know the protesters that plague our fallen furnerals)

I had a invite in my inox on facebook, I really wasn't in a hurry to open it up and read it so it sat there for a few days, this weekend I finally sat down and took  the time to read the messages and invites that I had waiting for me....and wow, this has sparked something in me!!  Let me explain!!

"The U.S. Supreme Court hears Snyder vs Phelps on October 6, 2010, at 10a.m. E.T, and this father of a fallen Marine needs all the prayerful support and encouragement we can offer...r him. Mr. Snyder lost his son, a Marine who fell while serving in Iraq in 2006. His son's funeral was the target of an intrusive, disruptive, hateful WBC (Westboro Baptist Church) led by Fred Phelps. The protesters held signs, stating "God Loves Dead American Soldiers" and "God Hates You". As if that weren't enough, the WBC then took random facts about Mr. Snyder, his fallen son Matthew, and his ex-wife and posted a vile and malicious "Epic" slandering the family."

Wow, its about time that this makes it to the Supreme Court level.  As a former paralegal and aspiring lawyer I understand the legal system better than most.  I understand our basic rights as Americans and am generally okay with it.

Now as a American, Soldier, wife and mother this case outrages me!!!  It outrages me because how can we let this group continue to cause pain and heartache to suffering families!!!  Families that have too paid the ultimate price.  So often we speak of the soldier laying down his life and paying the ultimate sacrifice, but the family too has also paid.  They will never hear their love one's voice again, feel the embrace of a hug, share a laugh, or even the luxury of a fight!!  All of these things we take for granted but you ask anyone who has lost a loved one and they are going to mention all the above and more!!

This group has every right to protest, its in their basic amendment rights but....have they ever once stopped to look at the other side of the coin?  The fact that some where in their family tree a member of their family served in the military?  That it is because of the military that they have the right to protest.  I mean they could live in a country that doesn't even afford women the right to leave home much less the right to protest!!

The restraint that we are forced to have when we see these blatant lies on signs....god hates soldiers, god is happy you are dead...I mean come on now, do I go to a funeral of your loved one to yell hate and lies, nope that is right I am overseas away from my friends and family doing what god and country ask of me.  I put life as I know it on hold so that you can continue to disrespect those who don't deserve it!!

And as far as Fred Phelps goes...what kind of leader sends his "minions" out to do his work...oh wait a spineless coward that's right...history has shown a few of those, Hitler, Saddam, Bid Laden, Mussolini...you get the picture.  He doesn't ever show up to a protest, yet he preaches all of this trash.  Why yes, I would like to follow you to the promise land, wait, will it really be you leading?  Or will you be hiding in a cave or hole somewhere?

So this week when the Supreme Court hears and rules on this case this week, I hope that they will make precedent and case law out of this case.  Show the family the respect and honor that they deserve!!  Put a final stop to this endless crap that plagues the most sorrowful moments in our nation, the lost of a true hero who has paid the ultimate price so you can believe the crap and lies you preach.....

1 comment:

  1. *Update on this case....I read that the Supreme Court has heard the case and now have until the Spring to rule on it. The Courts have sympathized with the family of the fallen, but now must find a constitual ruling to side with the family....Praying they find a way to do this, for the fallen and all military families out there.

    Please continue to keep this family and all other military families in your thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete